Flood alarms and flood alarm monitoring are essential to preventing damage when a disaster arises. Statistics show that 850 water main breaks are reported every day in the United States. It is estimated that the average cost of repairing flood damage is about $15,000 for homeowners. These damages are not only a nuisance but very costly. It only takes 24 hours for mold to develop in water-damaged areas, so it is essential to repair damages as quickly as possible. With ACS Security, you receive real-time flood alerts via text message or phone call the minute a flood is detected, so you can quickly cease the flow of water.
WHAT CAUSES FLOODS?
There are many causes of home flooding which can include natural disasters as well as manmade causes. Natural disasters include mudflows, flash floods, and heavy rains. Most manmade floods occur with a pipe bursting, plumbing problems, or when a malfunctioning water heater is present. 70% of floods are actually due to water heaters bursting or leaking.
HOW DOES FLOOD ALARM MONITORING WORK?
1. Water sensors are installed near appliances such as your hot water heater and washing machine.
2. When overflowing water is detected, a flood alarm signal is sent to the home alarm panel.
3. When water is detected on the alarm panel, an alert will notify you via call or text.
4. Alarm systems with Flood Avert feature an additional piece of equipment designed to cut off the water source at the onset of damages.
HOW DO YOU PREVENT OR PREPARE FOR A FLOOD?
1. It is always a good idea to have flood insurance.
2. Ensure that all pipes, water heaters, plumbing, and foundation are working properly on a regular basis.
3. In the event of a natural disaster, attempt to seal the perimeter of your home with waterproof materials that may help prevent damage.
4. Create an emergency plan for your family’s safety and any valuables.
5. Consider adding a flood monitoring system and flood avert automatic shut-off to prevent costly repairs.
It is important to protect your home before a flood or disaster occurs. The best way to protect your home from damage is with a flood monitoring system installed in order to always ensure you are aware as soon as the flooding starts. Contact ACS Security today for information on flood alarms and flood alarm monitoring protection.